Friday, February 17, 2012

I was walking on 6th ave to grab some lunch when I saw a confrontation between a guy in a wheelchair and a black man. The guy in the wheelchair was large and had a ponytail and an English accent an the black man was in his 50's. The wheelchair was yelling about how the man had bumped into him and knocked him over. They were on each others' face. I walked by it but couldn't help but look back. It was escalating. I stopped. And then the black man spit in wheelchair's face and wheelchair swung at him. I stepped in I got between them and just kept saying walk away. A crowd formed. I was now a part of this thing. They kept circling each other. The black man spit again and the wheelchair called him a nigger. Another, bigger guy jumped in to help me break it up. I kept saying there is no settling this just walk away. And finally they did. Wheelchair followed me and caught up to me as I was walking down the street. We stood waiting for the walk sign. 'what kind of world is this when someone can knock over a guy in a wheelchair...' he was ranting. I looked at him. I think he was wearing make-up. 'I didn't go to Iraq and sustain this injury...' he kept on. But he was too old for Iraq. It didn't make sense. And I got the feeling maybe I'd been had.

No comments: